Serious illnesses, violence, accidents, and natural disasters are not selective and can impact all families. With a few minutes of your time, you can provide life saving blood, plasma, platelets and bone marrow needed to help save the life of loved ones.
Individuals who undergo severe blood loss and/or who are battling blood cancers may require blood, plasma, and platelet transfusions or a bone marrow transplant to survive. Although an estimated 38 percent of the U.S. population is eligible to donate blood at any given time, less than 10 percent of that eligible population actually donates blood each year. According to "Be the Match", a national bone marrow registry, even with a registry of millions, many patients who need donors who are a genetic match cannot find one.
Our foundations mission is to increase the number of blood and platelet donations to 10 percent through blood and platelet drives and increase the number of people in the national bone marrow registry. It is something simple we can all do to help save loved ones nationwide. Once registered, donating blood typically takes an average of 20 minutes, platelets up to 2 hours and registering to be a bone marrow donor involves giving either a swab of cheek cells or a blood sample to be tissue-typed.
Here are a few facts why we encourage everyone to donate blood and platelets and register for the bone marrow registry.
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed daily in the U.S.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S. alone
- Every 30 seconds someone needs platelets. Platelets are tiny cells in your blood that form clots and stops bleeding. Not uncommonly, trauma victims, whose platelets are lost due to bleeding and related processes, require platelet transfusions. Heart surgery patients also are frequently transfused with this product owing to treatment-related loss, damage, and/or destruction of their platelets. Also patients battling leukemia and other cancers – especially if they undergo transplantation with bone marrow (or related stem cell sources) – will require transfusions to make up for their platelets that are destroyed by chemotherapy and/or radiation. Note: Platelets typically last for only 5 days outside the body which is the primary reason why platelet are virtually needed every day.
- According to the American Cancer Society, an estimated 1.7 million people may be diagnosed with cancer in 2018 some of whom may need blood transfusions during their chemotherapy treatment.
- According to BE THE MATCH the National Bone Marrow Registry:
- Donors between the ages of 18 & 44 provide the greatest chance for transplant success.
- Patients are most likely to match someone of the same ancestry thus helping more patients find the match they need.
- Members with these backgrounds are especially needed:
- Black or African American
- American Indian or Alaska Native
- sian, including South Asian
- Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
- Hispanic or Latino
Each of our partnership organizations through independent research focuses on eliminating their specific disease. Whereas our foundation focuses on increasing the number of blood, plasma and platelet donations and bone marrow donors, nationwide, to support loved ones until a cure can be found. We recognize that we cannot accomplish our goals alone. We seek individuals who are committed to helping save lives by helping us raise blood, plasma, platelet and bone marrow donations nationwide. Become a valued partner and join us in our fight to reduce blood and platelet shortages.
What We Hope To Achieve
- Raise donations for the Gregg and Robyn Oshita Foundation that will allow us to conduct blood drives nationwide to help support loved ones who are in desperate need of blood, plasma and platelets.
- Increase the number of blood, plasma and platelet donations nationwide.
- Increase the number of bone marrow registrants nationwide.
You can be a hero. All it takes is 30 minutes to 2 hours of your time to save lives of others.in need. We look forward to a time when there is no longer a blood, plasma, platelet and matching bone marrow donor shortages nationwide. Give the most precious gift of all...the gift of life.